Our commitment and approach to maintaining an accessible website
Skills For Industry is committed to:
- maintaining an accessible website.
- ensuring that this website achieves “Level AA” conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, to comply with the National Disability Authority’s Code of Practice on Accessibility of Public Services and Information Provided by Public Bodies.
- ensuring that all new information on the website will achieve “Level AA” conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.
- including accessibility when we procure 3rd-party systems or upgrades to existing systems.
This website’s conformance with official accessibility guidelines
This website partially conforms to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0. We are always working to make our websites accessible to all and will be implementing these features as they become available.
Areas for improvement
We are aware of some areas on the website where we could improve accessibility. We are currently working to achieve this. We hope that this website will achieve “Level AA” conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.
We wish for all videos to be transcribed in English and Welsh closed captions. We currently are only able to provide English closed captions.
We are currently working to implement a tab-order navigation to make the website easy to navigate for users with a screen reader or no access to a mouse.
Accessibility features of this website
All text on our website can be resized using our built-in tool. Simply click on the text icon on the left of the screen and the content’s font size will be increased. Alternatively; text can be resized in browser by pressing CTRL+ to increase magnification and CTRL- to decrease. These features make the website more accessible to visually impaired users.
To combat low contrast visibility, we have implemented a ‘high contrast stylesheet’ which overrides all colours on the website and replaces them with extremely visible high contrasting colours, this feature is located on the left of all web pages, near the resizable text option. High contrasting colours make it easier for content to be read for visually impaired users.
The website has some compatibility with screen readers through the use of division orders and alt-text presence on images.
The website is fully compatible on every device due to responsive stylesheets. The site will automatically choose a stylesheet depending on the screen size and device type of the user. A good example of how this feature helps users is by compacting the navigation menu into a ‘burger’ menu, making each menu item easier to click on small screens.
How to send feedback on this website’s accessibility
We welcome feedback on the accessibility of this website.
- Email us at SFI@gowercollegeswansea.ac.uk
- Phone us on 01792 284054/284209